Projects and Studies
Use the map above to display information about active engineering and construction projects.
This information is updated periodically and includes the type & description of the work being done, contract number, location, start date, and expected finish date. Note that the initial zoom level may cause overlapping of projects/traffic cones. Please zoom in to identify individual projects using the instructions below.
- Reposition/Move Map
- Left click mouse & drag
- Two-finger drag (mobile & touch-pad devices)
- Zoom Map In/Out
- Use on-screen +/- buttons
- Roll mouse wheel
- Two-finger stretch (mobile & touch-pad devices)
- Display a Project
- Click traffic cone icon
- Tap traffic cone icon (mobile & touch-pad devices)
Direct Link to Active Construction Projects Map on Google.
Welcome to the MDTA's Projects and Studies page. Here you will find a list of our major Engineering and Construction Projects and Project Planning Studies.
Projects and services to operate, preserve, maintain, improve and protect MDTA's eight toll facilities are funded through the tolls customers pay to use the agency's facilities. The MDTA combines toll revenue from all facilities to pay operating costs and the debt on bonds that are issued to fund major projects.
- MDTA Engineering & Construction Projects
- MDTA Project Planning Studies
- Maryland Transportation Plan (MTP)
For a full list of major capital improvement projects within the Maryland Department of Transportation's (MDOT) six year Consolidated Transportation Program (CTP) click here.
- Cashless Tolling
- I-95 ETL Northbound Extension
- I-95 Signing Upgrade
- John F. Kennedy Memorial Highway Deck Replacement and Miscellaneous Rehabilitation of Bridge No. CEXA15 on I-95 over Little Northeast Creek
- I-95 Ramp Rehab (South of the Fort McHenry Tunnel)
- Cashless Tolling
- Substructure Bridge Repairs on I-895:
- Substructure and Superstructure Rehabilitation to Various Bridges on I-895 north of I-695 to Baltimore Harbor Tunnel & I-895 Spur
- Substructure and Superstructure Rehabilitation to Various Bridges north of the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel to I-95
- Various Slope and Drainage Repairs along the Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Thruway
Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Ventilation Fan Replacement
Fort McHenry Tunnel Lighting Replacement
Fort McHenry Tunnel Reconfigure I-95 Moravia Rd. to the Fort McHenry
Francis Scott Key Substructure and Superstructure Rehabilitation to Various Bridges on Francis Scott Key Bridge
- Bay Bridge Automated Lane Closure System Project
- MDTA Bay Bridge Gates Flyer PDF (8MB Download)
- New Nice Middleton Bridge Project
- Cleaning, Painting and Miscellaneous Repairs on Nice Bridge
- Cleaning and Painting Structural Steel of Westbound Bay Bridge - Phase 4 (Bay Bridge, US 50/301)
- Bay Bridge Westbound Bridge Suspension Span Rehabilitation
- Bay Bridge Priority Structural Repairs and Misc. Modifications
ALL ELECTRONIC TOLLING (AET) CONVERSION STUDY
AET would provide toll collection at highway speeds through the electronic methods of E-ZPass and Video Tolling, just like on the ICC and I-95 ETL, at Maryland's seven toll plazas. The advantages of such a transition could include reduced travel time; increased safety/reduced crashes; alignment with national practice, which is shifting to AET; improved customer convenience; reduced emissions; and potential long-term reduction in toll collection and maintenance costs. The MDTA submitted a follow-up study report to the legislature on Jan. 1, 2016, as required by House Bill 389 passed during the 2014 legislative session.
The MDTA addressed the following requirements of the legislation:
- Analysis of AET in other states with description of various AET programs.
- Analysis of AET interoperability.
- Analysis of:
- Alternative payment methods that do not exceed the existing cash rates.
- Video Toll rates based on an analysis of actual costs and potential savings to collect Video Tolls.
- Toll rates needed to address concerns with Video Toll collection of trucks.
- Analysis of issues and factors related to AET that must be addressed before AET is implemented.
- Overview of revisions, if any, to the MDTA's initial AET proposal.
- Proposed legislation, if required, related to implementation of AET.
- Study Report:
- Replace Deck and Superstructure of Bridge over Patapsco Flats (begins June 2016)
- I-95 ETL Northbound Extension
- I-95 Master Plan (PDF 5MB Download)
- I-95 At Belvidere Road Transportation Improvement Study
- I-895/Baltimore Harbor Tunnel Toll Plaza and Interchange Improvements Project
- I-95 Access Improvements Study
- I-95 Restriping of Lanes north of the Fort McHenry Tunnel (begins 2017)
- Baltimore Harbor Traffic Management Studies - Summary Report
- I-95 Carroll Camden Access Study - Summary Report
- Bay Crossing Study
- Bay Bridge LCCA Report - December 2015 (PDF Download)
- Section 10 Bay Bridge Lifecycle Study - August 19 2013
- Nice Bridge Improvement Project Study (Governor Harry W. Nice Memorial/Senator Thomas “Mac” Middleton, US 301)
- Bay Bridge Transit Study Complete (William Preston Lane Jr. Memorial Bridge US 50/301)
The Maryland Transportation Plan (MTP) is a 20-year vision for transportation in Maryland. The MTP outlines the State's transportation goals, policies and priorities and helps guide statewide investment decisions across all modes of transportation.