I-95 At Belvidere Road Interchange - Home
The Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA) is adding an interchange at I-95 and Belvidere Road that will accommodate future economic growth of the nearby Principio Enterprise Zone, provide more direct access to and from I-95 for trucks accessing the Zone thereby reducing truck volumes on US 40, MD 222, and MD 272, replace the existing Belvidere Road overpass with a new structure designed to convey traffic between I-95 and Belvidere Road and, include environmental mitigation and reforestation measures.
A $20 million Better Utilizing Investments to Leverage Development (BUILD) Transportation Discretionary Grant was awarded by the U.S. Department of Transportation to Cecil County in 2018 to support the new interchange. The project met the grant criteria for safety, economic competitiveness, quality of life, environmental protection, state of good repair, innovation, partnership, and additional non-Federal revenue for infrastructure investments. Additional information on the grant can be found here.
Construction is scheduled to begin this winter and the new interchange is scheduled to open in late fall 2025. Under MDTA’s supervision, the $65 million design-build job is being performed by Concrete General, Inc. with design by Whitman, Requardt and Associates, LLP.
Project Fast Facts
- Improved access from I-95 to the Principio Business Park
- Reduce heavy truck traffic on local roads
- Improved Level of Service on local roads
- Reduction of vehicles travelling through high-crash intersections
- A design offering the best operational, safety, and efficiency benefits with minimal environmental impacts
- Belvidere Interchange Project Briefing Request - Cecil County, December 13, 2022
- Press Release: Governor Hogan Breaks Ground On New I-95/Belvidere Interchange In Cecil County 10-15-2022
Jason Stolicny, P.E.
Maryland Transportation Authority
Office of Engineering and Construction
300 Authority Drive
Baltimore, MD 21222