Nice/Middleton Bridge All-Electronic (Cashless) Tolling
The Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA) began all-electronic tolling (AET) construction work in Fall 2021 at the Nice/Middleton Bridge along southbound US Route 301. With AET cashless toll collection, there’s no slowing or stopping to pay tolls. Instead, motorists pay tolls at highway speed via E-ZPass, Pay-By-Plate or Video Tolling. Benefits of AET include increased safety, less engine idling and better fuel efficiency.
The Nice/Middleton Bridge Replacement project will convert the existing toll plaza area into highway-speed lanes by removing the toll islands, booths, and canopy. The project will be completed in stages.
Nice/Middleton Bridge US 301 All-Electronic (Cashless) Tolling – Construction
- Right and left lane closures along southbound US 301
- Construction of tolling gantry and ITS/electrical equipment installation
- Installation and testing of tolling equipment
- Activation of overhead tolling gantry and highway-speed AET cashless tolling
- Tolls collected in the southbound direction only
- Two-way traffic will operate on northbound US 301
- Shoulders will be closed through the project work area
- Removal of toll booths, islands and canopy
Approach roadway construction to the new Nice/Middleton Bridge will continue.
Recent Project Updates
Starting in March 2022, two-way traffic will operate on northbound US 301 so crews can remove the existing toll plaza. Access to the E-ZPass Maryland Customer Service Center (CSC) will be from Orland Park Road until the new bridge opens.
- Southbound shoulders will be closed through the project work area.
- Stay alert, obey posted speeds and keep moving through the work area.
- Traffic delays are possible throughout the work area.
- Tolls will be collected via a new overhead electronic toll gantry located prior to the existing toll plaza structure for southbound traffic only.
- Always properly mount your E-ZPass transponder and keep your account up to date to receive the lowest toll rate.
- All-electronic tolling is statewide.
Nice/Middleton Bridge AET Toll Plaza Demolition
Nice/Middleton Bridge AET Gantry Installation (Video)
Nice/Middleton Bridge AET Configuration at Former Toll Plaza Site
Nice/Middleton Bridge AET Gantry Along US-301 Southbound*
*New overhead electronic toll gantry is located approximately 1,200 feet prior to the former toll plaza structure.