Nice/Middleton Bridge Project – Home
- Construction Sequence 5 Place Roadway Deck
About the Project
The Maryland Transportation Authority (MDTA) is replacing the existing Nice/Middleton Bridge with a new bridge that will:
- Double the vehicle capacity with four 12-foot-wide lanes, replacing the old bridge’s two 11-foot-wide lanes
- Improve safety by installing a barrier-separated median between east- and westbound lanes, adding two-foot shoulders and other improvements that meet current safety standards
- Eliminate lane-shifting safety issues at toll booths by replacing them with all-electronic tolling
- Enable tall ships to pass beneath its 135-foot clearance
Construction started in July 2020 and the new bridge is scheduled to open in early 2023. Under MDTA’s supervision, the $463 million design-build job is being performed by Skanska, Corman and McLean (SCM), a joint venture comprised of firms with local ties.
The MDTA is self-sufficient and receives no gas tax, motor vehicle fees, or other revenue in the Transportation Trust Fund. The MDTA facilities are fully financed, operated, maintained, improved, and protected with toll revenues paid by customers using those facilities.
MDTA has made all-electronic tolling permanent statewide, making E-ZPass Maryland even better for our customers. Learn more about how cashless tolling works, the benefits of cashless tolling and how to get an E-ZPass Maryland transponder.
Get Adobe Acrobat Reader:
The meeting agendas and minutes are provided in Adobe PDF format. If you do not have a PDF viewer you can download a free version of Adobe Acrobat Reader at http://get.adobe.com/reader