Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act
The MDTA Police provides LEOSA certification to qualified retired MDTA Police Officers and current MDTA Employees that have retired from other agencies.
LEOSA Applicants (Initial and Renewal) must complete the entire LEOSA application (6 pages) and forward it to the Training Unit Assistant Commander for processing. The application may be mailed, emailed, faxed or dropped off in person. Applications and range date scheduling must be completed no less than 30 calendar days from the desired range date.
Incomplete, incorrect, and/or untimely submissions will result in the application being returned for corrections.
The following documents are available for download regarding the MDTA Police LEOSA program:
- MDTA Police LEOSA Policy 07-01-2022 (PDF Download)
- MDTA Police form #143 - Qualified Retired Law Enforcement Officer Application for Certification to Carry a Concealed Firearm (PDF Download)
- In order to view, fill out, and submit this PDF form via email please download the latest free version of Adode Acrobat Reader®.
LEOSA Application Submission Instructions:
New Instructions for LEOSA Applications:
LEOSA Applications can now be faxed, or mailed to the training unit.
- For Mailing: Attention Brenda Silver, 4330 Broening Highway, Baltimore MD 21222
- For Faxing: Attention Brenda Silver: (410) 537-7701
Emailing Option Instructions:
- If the retiree submits an electronic application, they must first download the LEOSA application to their desktop, open the form in Adobe Arobat Reader, complete, then email the completed form to Cpl. Jerome Ferguson (firstname.lastname@example.org), 1st Sgt. Greg Sampson (email@example.com), and Brenda Silver (firstname.lastname@example.org). Download a free version of Adobe Acrobat.
- LEOSA applications must be received at the Training Unit 30 days prior to LEOSA qualification. The retiree must specify the date they want to attend the LEOSA Qualifications.
Upon receipt of the application, a confirmation email will be sent to the applicant confirming receipt of the application and the scheduled date to arrive.
- Retirees will now be issued their cards at Sykesville Gun range, upon successful qualification.
- If a retiree shows, and did not submit an application and qualification date, they will have to reschedule their LEOSA qualification.
LEOSA Qualifying Dates for 2024:
Please select a LEOSA qualification date and email it to the Range Master along with your name and contact number.
2024 Schedule (0800 to 1200 hours or 1300 to 1700):
- January 30, 2024 (0800-1200 or 1300-1700)
- April 29, 2024 (0800-1200)
- May 29, 2024 (0800-1200 or 1300-1700)
- June 13, 2024 (0800-1200 or 1300-1700)
- June 26, 2024 (0800-1200)
- July 24, 2024 (0800-1200)
- August 28, 2024 (0800-1200)
- September 25, 2024 (0800-1200)
- October 16, 2024 (0800-1200)
- November 25, 2024 (0800-1200)
- December 11, 2024 (0800-1200)
All qualifying will take place at MPCTC located in Sykesville, MD and will start at 8:00 a.m. or 1:00 p.m. respectfully.
Maryland Transportation Authority Police
Corporal Jerome Ferguson, Range Master
4330 Broening Highway
Baltimore, MD 21222